Warburton Community Hydro
Complete design, project manage and construct
Originally a vision by a local community group to refurbish and grid connect an old 1930’s turbine, this project evolved over many years to become a full ground-up design and construct project using modern equipment and world leading innovations. Driven by a group of dedicated local volunteers and backed by the community sponsorship arm of the Warburton and Yarra Junction Community Bank Branches®, the project breaks new ground in the emerging community-driven renewable energy sector.
River Power Tasmania was engaged to:
- Design the scheme in its entirety, including intake works, pipeline, underground powerhouse, turbine sound attenuation, grid connection, turbine and electrical specification and site access
- Provide professional services to assist with planning permit, water licence, grid connection, power purchase, LGC accreditation, land lease agreements etcetera
- Act as the Owners Representative, managing the procurement and successful delivery of all components including the HDPE pipeline, hydroelectric turbine and electrical control equipment
- Construct and install of all balance of plant components
The plant is due to be commissioned in August 2018.
The Warburton Community Hydro project was made possible by financial and in-kind support from the Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Yarra Ranges Council and energy retailer Powershop.
Follow the below links for footage during construction:
Please contact us at any time for a chat about your small-scale hydro needs.
- Constructed 2018
- Dam Storage – NIL
- Pipe length: 859m
- Pipeline outside diameter: 450mm
- Max design flow: 206l/s
- Head: 68.3m
- Max output: 100kw
- Annual generation: 820MWh